15 August 2007

Parent as a verb, not a noun.

Sometimes I have to get very disappointed in what "parenting" has become. Whatever happened to the notion that the birds left the nest the minute they became 18? When did parents start wanting their children to quite literally never leave? Surely this isn't healthy.

The whole reason I started this blog was because no one in my family ever really taught me anything about living on my own. They told me vague blanket ideas like "It's not as fun as you think it is" or "Why don't you just save up some money?" but they never TAUGHT me anything.

For instance, I do not know:
how to change a flat
how to change my oil
where my air filter is in my car
how to ACT OUT the budget
how to start or break a habit
how to find a stud to put a screw or nail into

And that isn't even all of it! Honestly, those are just the things I am cognizant of! Part of my blood-family quit being my family when I was 16. I still had a lot to learn and whatnot, yet the family that took me in did nothing to teach me about anything.

What did I learn?
How to change a diaper,
How to become stoic about my life situations,
How to be sneaky.

And really, those aren't things that will get a person through life. Unless you are a professional Diaper Changer, that's not going to help at all. In regards to being stoic it just freaks people out, honestly. And sneakiness helps spies and thieves, but no one else.

If you're a parent, or if you're still living with your parents, why don't you take this time to teach or learn something. Even if you have to force it out of your parents/guardians, get them out there and show you how to do something you can't yet do. If you are a parent, go out and teach your kid something.
Believe me, whoever is the kid will most definitely appreciate it later when the knowledge is required.

No comments: